Looking for greater comfort and exclusivity?
The Captain’s Cabin is situated in the wheelhouse alongside the captain and watch keeper. This cabin provides our guests with exclusive access to the captain as they go about their duties as well as a dedicated tour host for the duration of the tour.
- Capacity is limited to 12 passengers.
- Business class seating.
- Seats are angled outwards to maximize views through the large windows.
- The cabin is air conditioned.
- Water fountain provided.
- A large screen displays our award-winning marine wildlife animations.
- A full tour narration is provided.
- Access to all other passenger areas on the vessel.
- A selection of snacks and cold drinks will be available (as of the 1st Oct 2021)
- An exclusive viewing area on the top deck (as of the 1st Oct 2021)
View more on our latest vessel, Te Ao Marama, here.
|Captain's Cabin Pricing:|
|Per Seat (Adult or Child)||$180 - $210NZD|
- Rates valid to the 30th September 2022. (as of the 1st Oct 2021 the new rate will be $210.00)
- Children under 3yrs are not permitted on the tour.
- Tour costs can change without notice.
- Discounts are not valid for Captain's Cabin seats.
- Exclusive charter rate for the Captain's Cabin is available upon request.
ABOUT YOUR TOUR
Whale Watch is New Zealand's only vessel based whale watching company offering an exciting up-close encounter with the worlds largest toothed predator the Giant Sperm Whale in their natural environment at all times of the year, our 95% success rate means we guarantee an 80% refund if your tour does not see a whale.
The main focus of your tour is to locate and view the Giant Sperm whale. We average between 1 to 2 whale sightings per tour due to the length of time the whales can stay submerged. The whales form loose pods, keeping several miles between each other, so viewing any more than 1 to 2 whales per trip is a real bonus.
Around 80% of the world’s whale and dolphin species migrate past our coastline so at any given time there is the opportunity for other species of marine mammals to be sighted such as Blue, Fin, Sei, Humpback, Minke, Pilot, Orca and Southern Right Whales, Common Dolphins, Bottlenose Dolphins, Southern Right Whale Dolphins, Elephant Seals and Leopard Seals.
Depending on the amount of time available after viewing the Sperm whales, the captain of the vessel may decide to move in along the coastline and see what other types of marine life can be encountered. This could include Dusky and Hector Dolphins and the New Zealand Fur Seal.
Kaikōura is also home to around 75% of the world’s pelagic sea bird species which include Wandering and Royal Albatross, Mollymawk Albatross, Petrels, Shearwaters, Prions, Fulmars, Gannets, Terns and Herons.
Throughout your tour there is an onboard visual presentation, “World of the Whales” – an experience that takes passengers “virtually” to the bottom of the Kaikōura undersea canyon. The presentation also provides information for a variety of marine life found in Kaikōura waters.
Designed specially for whale watching, our modern catamarans are equipped with engines that minimise underwater noise and toilets that never pollute the sea. The main passenger cabin is enclosed and large outside decks offer great viewing and photo opportunities. Passenger numbers for each tour are kept well below our vessel carrying capacity to ensure your tour experience remains a personal one.
Time spent on the water is just over 2 hours. Including check-in time, safety briefing and bus transfers you should allow 3 hours 15 minutes in total.