Whale Watch Kaikoura Weekly Update - 1st May 2017
Over the weekend we had wonderful sightings of sperm whales, dusky dolphins, fur seals and a juvenile humpback whale. This humpback whale stunned both passengers and crew alike by breaching alongside the boat around 20 times… This is not something we get to see every day so when it does happen you can imagine even the crew are excited!
As we enter into the cooler winter months it is a good reminder to take extra care on the roads and to check the NZTA website for road updates before traveling.
Progress is being made on the repair of the Kaikōura Marina and we continue to switch between using a berth and our modified trailer unit for launching our vessel Tohorā, when and where possible we are also making use of the public jetty that we have modified, this is due to tidal restrictions and repair work as a result of the coastline lifting by +1.0m. It is anticipated that the Kaikōura Marina will be fully restored by October 2017.
Dredging of the Coastguard channel has begun with specialised equipment that has arrived in Kaikōura. This work is almost complete and they will then move on to dredging the outer channel of the Kaikōura marina.
Currently our available tour times are based around the tide times on the day and may differ from the tour times originally advertised, please bear with us as we continue to work toward being fully operational again. For an update on the tour times available please contact our Customer Service team directly either by email on email@example.com or phone +64 3 319 6767 or free phone 0800 655 121 (within NZ) and they will be able to help you with your inquiry. Please note we are operating at a reduced capacity in the interim with up to 3 tours available per day, please contact our team prior to arriving in Kaikōura to secure a space on one of our tours and to save disappointment.
- Our Customer Service team are available from 7am – 5.30pm daily.
- Our Gift Shop’s opening hours are in line with our daily tour times. There are many fantastic marine & local based products available both in store and online BUY ONLINE TODAY.
- Flukes Café’s opening hours are in line with our daily tour times, with fresh baking, great coffee, friendly service and stunning views on offer.
Kaikōura Business Update:
Kaikōura is open for business. For latest updates on accommodation / restaurant and retail information please contact the team at the Kaikōura i-Site who will be able to help you find what suits your needs during your stay in Kaikōura.
- SH1 SOUTH Christchurch – Cheviot - Kaikōura is closed! Please take note that for travellers coming from Christchurch to Kaikōura that the coastal State Highway 1 route is currently closed due to work being done on a large slip that occurred during Cyclone Cook recently. This will be reassessed again at 7am on the 12th May 2017.
- INLAND ROUTE 70 Christchurch - Hanmer Springs - Kaikōura is open 24/7
- SH1 NORTH from Kaikōura - Picton is closed until December 2017
All subject to weather conditions, slips, repair work and seismic activity. Updates available from the NZTA WEBSITE.
Intercity, Hasslefree Tours & Canterbury Leisure Tours have daily services from Christchurch to Kaikōura with a return service from Christchurch, as well as Kiwi Experience now having the option of a day tour out of Christchurch for their travellers.
Progress on the work being done on roads (along with harbour repairs) can be found on this dedicated KAIKOURA EARTHQUAKE RESPONSE page provided by the team at NZTA, this page is updated weekly on Friday. Work is also starting to take place on the railway network, please be aware and take care when using rail crossings.
Please consider taking the time to visit Kaikōura, your support is most welcome.
The team at Whale Watch Kaikoura.